Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 03-29-2022, 09:24 AM

idiot is on a distinguished road

idiot is on a distinguished road
A story about my 02 runner(tonk) and the radiator that could

For reference tonk has 268K miles

Starting mid february old Tonk started showing a new check engine light. This was discouraging because I hadnt made it 6 months without the dash looking like a christmas tree. I ran the code (p1135) and went to work figuring it was just the heater for the A/F sensor. Working 80 hour weeks I barely had time to feed myself much less work on/research how to fix my car so I kept on goin.

Fast forward to the second week of March. I was driving back from helping my buddy on his farm cruising at about 80. Suddenly steam starts pouring out from the hood of the car and the temp needle is just tickling the red. I roll up the windows and put on the A/C. This was a mistake. Apparently the A/C gets air from the engine bay. Who woulda thought. evaporated coolant started pouring from the vents like steam off a cattle iron. Tonk and I both coughed our way to the nearest exit where a sheetz was waiting for us.

Popped the hood and let her cool down for a bit while i got a gallon jug of water to pour in the radiator and find the leak. Turns out there was a 5 inch crack along the aluminum of the top of the radiator right beside the fill cap. As sheetz didn't carry the supplies i needed for this special occasion, I borrowed some duct tape and flex seal from my toolbox and almost stopped the leak with the goal of getting home, which should only take another half hour.

I pull out of the sheetz and don't get a half mile down the road before i see a tractor supply. I looked for one on my phone previously but it said the nearest one was a 15 minute drive. I miss steve jobs. I swing a left and hobble into the parking lot. Bought some brake clean, a wire brush and some JB waterweld. Got the tape and the flex seal off with the wire brush and my hands, used brake clean to get the residue off and prep the radiator for the waterweld. Three weeks later and the waterweld has held up remarkably well. The crack has spread to about 10 inches now and I ran out of jb weld so i figure I should probably get a new radiator.

On to the question i have now. Every time i cold start Tonk the engine shakes like a drunkard. It stops after a minute or two leading me to believe that the original code was an O2 sensor and not the A/F sensor heater but I'm not sure how to check. I'm also curious as to which radiator y'all think is the best? There are a couple threads on this but theyre almost a decade old.

Thanks fellas
idiot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote