Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-06-2022, 10:36 AM

fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold

fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble Leader View Post
there are going to be A LOT of opinions on this roof rack. visually it looks pretty slick but functionally there are better choices

the cross bars (and standard OEM ones) have been known to flex under load, something as simple as a cargo box can cause them to flex. also you have to mount longer items on the very top of the rack so they clear the highest rear cross support

the sturdiness of the rack will be the same for both the standard rails and this TRD roof basket. the crossbars are what you need to be mindful of

if you are purchasing for function and needing to carry, there are better options out there. since you don't need to carry really anything heavy its probably down to occasional use coupled with looks. looks are subjective so that's up to you. this rack works for many for the occasional use (non RTT, non overlanding etc.) but I think there are better options out there. a set of thule, yakima or even LFD crossbars are highly more functional than this TRD basket. I looked at purchasing that same rack and ended up purchasing a set of crossbars instead

for me I wouldn't pay much, reason being is I wouldn't get much utility out of it, I do like it for looks though, I think it looks nice. probably a couple hundred $ tops if I didn't need the utility of crossbars
Agree that the cross bars are the weakest link but there is a simple solution to that: just add some more cross bars. The OEM cross bars are spread fairly far apart so there is room to add more. They are readily available; the part numbers for just the cross bars are listen in the installation manual. I bought three more for my TRD rack.

With the added cross bars, the bottom layer becomes a rather flat platform which easily holds duffels and the like.
fkheath is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote