Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-08-2022, 04:44 PM

TexasFunRunner is a jewel in the rough TexasFunRunner is a jewel in the rough TexasFunRunner is a jewel in the rough

TexasFunRunner is a jewel in the rough TexasFunRunner is a jewel in the rough TexasFunRunner is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by balong48 View Post
Yeah especially with Mike Sweers driving the program I don't blame you. Not sure if it's a coincidence but he can't seem to do vehicle launches smoothly. First year of the Taco redesign was rough and the new Tundra is looking like a shit show too. This will be the first 4Runner redesign (outside of the 5th gen refresh) where Sweers is behind the program and it scares me. Took them what five years to dial in the engine/transmission tuning on the Taco? They do seem pretty issue free now otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetboy View Post
Toyota is just falling so far behind by sitting on these models for so long. They haven't done a ground up re-design since 2002. And everyone else will be offering far more powerful engine options, many of which also likely get better mpg. It seems reasonable that Toyota has been forced to make major drivetrain upgrades late in design process due to the known competition and the disappointing performance of its TNGA transmission based hybrid system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by balong48 View Post
I thought there was a bit more but it's been a
Either way hopefully Toyota figures it out and can get it resolved and carry the lessons learned over to the new Taco and 4Runner. I won't be in the market for one until 2025-2026 so hopefully they'll have the 4Runner dialed in for the 2025/6 MY
I've been looking forward to owning a new 6th gen 4Runner for a some time, but now with all the reliability issues Toyota is having with the new TGNA platform Tundra, I'm really starting to have my doubts if that is a smart move. I don't mine waiting for the 2nd year to work out the bugs, but that no longer seems possible, maybe the 3rd or 4th year.

You have to wonder if Toyota has the capability any longer to build a reliable, new release vehicle. Is it a basic lack of talent in the design and testing process or is Mike Sweers pressured by Toyota corporate to squeeze budgets and deadlines, like every other American vehicle manufacturer.
TexasFunRunner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote