Home Menu

Site Navigation

Thread: Slinging grease
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2022, 11:06 PM

Jeremy556 is a splendid one to behold Jeremy556 is a splendid one to behold Jeremy556 is a splendid one to behold Jeremy556 is a splendid one to behold Jeremy556 is a splendid one to behold Jeremy556 is a splendid one to behold Jeremy556 is a splendid one to behold

Jeremy556 is a splendid one to behold Jeremy556 is a splendid one to behold Jeremy556 is a splendid one to behold Jeremy556 is a splendid one to behold Jeremy556 is a splendid one to behold Jeremy556 is a splendid one to behold Jeremy556 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncflyer View Post
Just as I guessed, said the lift/install caused the problem so said I could...

1. Spend about 1,000.00 on OEM cv axles (said axle had to be replaced too and couldn't just reseat or replace the boots only)

2. Spend maybe 50 or less on aftermarket parts.

Looking into aftermarket (larger) boots to replace OEM.
Don't change anything, OEM boots are probably the best thing available. All you need to do is fully crimp the Oetiker clamp. Any decent set of the pliers ($30+) should easily do the job in about 5 minutes.

OEM CV axles are $350, and you can change the boots. A kit with inner and outer boots, grease, and clamps is sold as a kit by Toyota for like $60. Also, lift has nothing to do with this problem.

ETA: As BlackWorks mentions, the Toyota tool for these is tits, but I haven't seen the same design on the aftermarket anywhere. I have some Knipex that are great for smaller ones like the TRE boots, but not big enough for the CVs. I have this style, and they sort of work with some long prybars to get a lot of leverage, but because of the slop and poor tolerance and they don't do a very good job.

Last edited by Jeremy556; 04-25-2022 at 11:26 PM.
Jeremy556 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote