View Single Post
Old 05-09-2022, 03:53 AM

NautyBruiser19 will become famous soon enough

NautyBruiser19 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
I'm planning a vacation to Cape San Blas and will get the beach driving permit. I've been occasionally offroading for years, but never long periods on a beach.

I already have basic offroading supplies like straps, shovel, General Grabber 270/70 tires, hi-lift, etc.

I plan to purchase:
  • Maxtrax (2)
  • Viair 300P Compressor
  • Boulder Tools Rapid Tire Deflator
  • NOCO Boost Plus (1000A) jump starter

Questions:
  • Am I missing anything critical?
  • My cranky family will be waiting as I inflate/deflate the tires. Do people generally recommend a single rapid deflator, or multiple pre-set valve stem deflators? Which is faster?
  • Does anyone have any recommendations for brands / devices other than those shown?

TIA

As long as you air down your tires(18-20 p.s.i.) and watch some videos on the basics of what to do and what not to do while driving in sand, you'll be alright and you'll be light years ahead of most people who casually wander onto sand. I would tell you to also know how to properly use the crawl control as a last-ditch effort to get unstuck before getting pulled out, but it looks like you don't have that.

As for my personal opinion on the items you listed:

-Maxtrax (I would recommend going with much cheaper off-brand boards. There are many Youtube videos testing different brands, and the off-brands are sufficient for most people. I personally have a brand called XBULL)

-Viair 300P Compressor (I have a Viair 400P-Automatic and love it. Takes a little over 2 minutes each tire to air up from 18 to 34 p.s.i.(265 Nitto Terra Grapplers). You might want to use money you save on cheaper traction boards to upgrade to this model which has an auto shut-off. Much more convenient!)

-Boulder Deflators (I went with the more reputable "OG" on these; Staun from Australia. I didn't want to mess around with cheaper off-brands on these, especially hearing complaints about off-brand versions. I don't have direct experience with the Boulder, so take it for what it's worth)

-Noco Booster (Noco is a solid brand of boost packs. I personally chose an Audew based on recommendations. Haven't had to use it to jump yet, but use it all the time as an auxiliary battery charger for USB devices)

I would also suggest getting the family involved and have them help deflate the tires if you choose to get the individual deflators. It's simple and fun! Oh yeah, don't forget to wash the undercarriage really well when you're done to get rid of as much sea water as possible.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your trip. The wife and I did beach driving on Padre Island National Seashore in a rental a few years ago and it was really fun!