Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 05-14-2022, 05:42 PM

bayaz will become famous soon enough

bayaz will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWorksInc View Post
If you can duplicate the issue consistently, then show it to the service writer/technician; that will be enough for them to follow it diagnostically. As long as the technician can make it fail, they can go from there even if it "resets" from cycling the key, the more detail the better (I would rather have too much information regarding how to duplicate a weird issue than not enough; makes it easier to filter out what is relevant vs. what is superfluous).

As @Jakeepoo3 stated, if you're hearing a click under the passenger side dash, that might be the 4WD module itself. It does have a couple relays/high amp switches in it for the 4WD system functions, it should have been tested before being replaced. I know the earlier 4th gens had a warning in the FSM to not turn the vehicle on with certain things disconnected as it could cause damage to the module or the actuators; can't recall if the 5th gens have that?

I would at this point take it back to the dealer and have a civil chat with the service manager about the issue, maybe even touch base with Toyota's corporate side to cover your bases. This will likely get a TAS Case (if it doesn't already) and should have FTS involvement if not Tier 2 since this would be like the 2nd/3rd failure in a row for the same issue, so theoretically you shouldn't get too much crap/push back from the dealer or Toyota (at least, in theory...) I am really curious what the issue will end up being... this one seems very interesting.
Thanks. Yes, I think I’ll have to take it to the dealer. The 2WD - 4WD Mode Change Malfunction came up a few more times. Each time when I took a hard left turn at speed (in 2wd on the street). It’s not perfectly replicatable, it happens only so often. The malfunction is recorded in the vehicle alert history though.

Are you guys saying that the culprit is likely the 4x4 ECU and it just shows itself through the ADD? The click under the passenger seat each time I start the car is the same click that I hear when 4wd engages.
bayaz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote