View Single Post
Old 05-15-2022, 09:02 AM

Todd308 is on a distinguished road

Todd308 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounpark View Post
i'm on board the an EV version. Not sure how effective solar is, but wonder if you had solar on the roof and hood, how long u could go while overlanding before you have to stop in civilization
Not very far. Ford tried an EV a few years ago that had full solar molded into every body panel, a full day in the desert sun only gained them like 3% charge and it added thousands of dollars to the vehicle price.

I've also looking into generators for backcountry use, not really feasible, but if i owned an EV I might have one for emergency uses. However it depends a lot on how much you want to drive in the backcountry. Let's say you're in a Moab like place only doing a couple trails a day, they are all near each other and you burn through 1/4 tank a day, at night you could make most of that back up. However if you are using 1/2, 3/4 tank a day, it's not really feasible.

It's pretty easy to do the math, for example a tesla 3 standard has a 60kwh battery, and it's range is 270 miles combined driving. You can figure anywhere from 10-15% of a generator rating is used up in with inefficiencies. For example the "real" max output of a honda 2200 generator is about 1.8kwh sustained ran at full throttle.

Which means running full throttle a honda 2200 generator would take ~33 hours to recharge an empty tesla 3. At full throttle that generator uses a gallon of fuel every 3 hours, so to refill the tesla once, you need to carry ~11 gallons of fuel.

Meaning that you're getting ~8 miles of driving range every hour the generator runs or ~ 24 MPG of generator fuel.

Now for me the overall efficiency isn't bad, it's the charging time needed, for example 11 gallons of fuel isn't bad to double your driving range, most off road vehicles even efficient SUV's are not able to do that. It's the lost time to charge. If I'm in the backcountry carrying say 15 gallons of fuel to double my driving range, sure I need to find a gas station every second tank, but when I do, it only takes 10 minutes to have another 2 tanks of fuel and be on my way.

Now you can go crazy and get something like a Honda 7000 generator, that will charge much faster, but it's $5k and weighs 300lbs. It will charge ~3x faster, with similar fuel use. So now you can recharge a tesla 3 in say 10-11 hours with about the same 11 gal of fuel used.

However, the other problem is that's a little cute Tesla 3, The ford F150 Lighting has a 98 kwh, or for the extended range has a 130 kwh battery to get 300 miles of range. So you have to more than double all of those charge times and fuel used in generator for a full sized pickup EV.

So now to get your F150 lightning to double its range with a 2200 kwh generator, it's going to take probably 70 hours running full capacity and use maybe 25 gallons of fuel. Even the 7000 watt version will need about the same fuel and still 24 hours to charge.
Todd308 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote