View Single Post
Old 05-15-2022, 08:18 PM

jwkilgore is on a distinguished road

jwkilgore is on a distinguished road
Thank you for the advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NautyBruiser19 View Post
-Maxtrax (I would recommend going with much cheaper off-brand boards. There are many Youtube videos testing different brands, and the off-brands are sufficient for most people. I personally have a brand called XBULL)
For just sand use I fully agree. Honestly using the shovel to dig a "ramp" in front of the tires should be all I would need if I buried myself. But these have been on my list for a while, I do a lot of off-roading in rocky areas and want a set that will seriously stand up. That said, the "off roading" cost for this trip is increasing rapidly, so maybe this is one area where I back down.

Quote:
-Viair 300P Compressor (I have a Viair 400P-Automatic and love it. Takes a little over 2 minutes each tire to air up from 18 to 34 p.s.i.(265 Nitto Terra Grapplers). You might want to use money you save on cheaper traction boards to upgrade to this model which has an auto shut-off. Much more convenient!)
I'll look into this, but $100+ for the simplicity of using a trigger vs toggling a switch on the compressor just doesn't seem like a good value. Maybe when I eventually go to full 285-75R's. Also I realized that since our house will be right near the beach I won't have to inflate/deflate multiple times a day. I can go between like 18psi on sand to 28psi for the road. Or, since I suspect the beach sand will be somewhat packed and the paved road speed limits are quite low, just go down to 24psi or so and keep it there until we need to get back on the highway.

Quote:
-Boulder Deflators (I went with the more reputable "OG" on these; Staun from Australia. I didn't want to mess around with cheaper off-brands on these, especially hearing complaints about off-brand versions. I don't have direct experience with the Boulder, so take it for what it's worth)
Good advice, were I going with the individual automatic individual tire deflators. So this is something to save up for. But for this trip, I'm thinking just get the single-tire rapid deflator for the reasons listed above.

Quote:
I would also suggest getting the family involved and have them help deflate the tires if you choose to get the individual deflators.
Why have kids if you don't make them work? I'm really looking forward to just loading up the vehicle and driving until I find a nice spot... soooooo much more appealing that pulling all the gear my wife requires in a rented beach wagon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeesWagon View Post
Momentum is your best asset. lol.
Absolutely... the last time I drove on loose sand was in a 2wd Toyota Rav4 when I took a wrong turn. I was flying down this 1-lane "road" through soft sand, drifting around curves, panicking because I knew that if I ever stopped I'd never get moving again. Luckily the path I was on ended at the same parking lot as the main road.

Last edited by jwkilgore; 05-17-2022 at 05:41 PM.
jwkilgore is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote