Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 05-18-2022, 10:05 AM

Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold

Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygraphic View Post
I take it you're talking about the ones that use the stock Toyota rails? This is good news. We just got ours last week and waiting for the next wash before we install.

Q: Did you put anything down under the wind fairing to protect the paint? (PPF or vinyl?). I have some black vinyl and am thinking about putting a small strip under it.
yes the ones that use the stock toyota rails. I did not need anything under the faring. it comes with its own rubber protective strip but my faring sits easily 1/4" above the roof at the lowest point. the strip would rest on the roof if I installed it. I am not concerned about the roof flexing somehow and contacting the faring so in my case the strip was not needed (2012 model year). the strip probably helps reduce some wind noise under the faring since it will close and reduce the gap between the faring and roof. but honestly, it would be so minimal and without the strip you don't need to worry about paint wear. the faring is designed well and I had no wind noise even at very high speeds. the strip that does come with the bars does have a metal insert inside, it's not all rubber. so when friction and little dirt/sand particles get trapped in there and eventually wears the rubber down it will be metal on metal with your roof.

I actually thought about PPFing my entire roof to eliminate the need for me to wax the roof twice a year like I do with the rest of the vehicle. I thought about doing a strip under the faring to make life easier but figured I'd quote on the whole roof, which was $500 and half a day's worth of my time. so I decided to buy some griots spray best of show wax and use a swiffer wand to wax the roof when I need to and wash pole to clean under the bars if I don't want to remove the boxes and everything inside them

Last edited by Humble Leader; 05-18-2022 at 10:07 AM.
Humble Leader is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote