View Single Post
Old 05-20-2022, 06:36 PM

hntz4x4 will become famous soon enough

hntz4x4 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Reak Show View Post
It depends on the personnel more than anything. Some smog guys refuse to see ANY modification to factory stuff. Some don’t even bother and just run it; no CEL, clean tailpipe, done.

When I did my 3.4 swap in the 2nd gen 12 years ago, I took it to a Referee to get it legalized. He ran it and it literally had just about ZERO emissions: a perfectly running system. But he initially failed it becuase the exhaust had been modified prior to the catalytic converter-for those that don’t know, modifying the exhaust is MANDATORY to accomplish the swap.

Anyway I argued with him a bit, becuase it’s literally just pipes and the result was the entire goal of smog: a cleaner running engine. He eventually talked to a supervisor and passed it. Moral of the story: it depends on the person. No CEL, running and passing a pressure test on the gas tank, clean tailpipe, and you’ll be on the road for 2 years.

You could also do the swap immediately after smogging and passing so you can enjoy it for 2 years before the next smog.
Ya I have some experience with how different techs/shops look at stuff. I also have an F250 with the 6.0, it's fully bulletproofed Banks system, and so on. One guy will get all weirded out just by the censors for my monitor and asking "what's this? what's that?" Just took it in for smog check to different shop but same chain, was in and out in 10 mins didn't awk one question.

So I will dive into gathering more info on doing this project. Thanks for the feed back guys.
hntz4x4 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote