Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 05-22-2022, 03:51 PM

Something_Awesome will become famous soon enough

Something_Awesome will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble Leader View Post
I have the LFD bars with faring and a pelican protector case on them. actually 2 pelican cases up there. they are on there almost all the time

I have it so that the front of the case is just behind the faring. there's a slight skew rearward but I wanted to fit them as centred as possible without being over the faring, makes it easy to access

at the end of the day you are putting a box on the roof, wind noise will not be zero, BUT I find if you put it within the width of the faring (so not over the side rails, if that makes sense) and behind the faring, wind noise is minimal. it's there but it's not obnoxious. and when I mean it's there, I mean I can hear it driving solo, through headwinds and crosswinds at 90+mph with no radio on. it's very slight and very reasonable, and that's with 2 cases mounted up there

Just IMO, I actually don't like how that pic is set up. its not possible to reach the bolts from the underside of the case when it's on the roof and tighten. IIRC that pic is from trail4r where the author of the article somehow was able to bolt from the inside of the case without requiring a wrench on the underside. I wouldn't be comfortable with this, even using carriage bolts. I have 4 studs per case mounted on the crossbars to allow for quick detachment of the case if I need the roof for other things. case goes on and off in less than a couple minutes, only need one wrench. I also reinforced the drilled mounting holes on the cases with an aluminum flat on the exterior of the case (1/8" thick) so the plastic case mounting holes don't get stretched or worn

if you want I can take some pictures. just lmk anything specific
Thanks for the info. And you are right about the 4Runner owner you identified. I will follow your advisement though on how to bolt the case on to the bars. Do you think you can provide a side profile pic of your vehicle to show how close the case is to the faring? It sounds like you have the case positioned right at the edge of the faring, right where the bar slopes downward toward the roof of the vehicle?
Something_Awesome is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote