View Single Post
Old 07-05-2022, 07:18 PM

joehenry225 is on a distinguished road

joehenry225 is on a distinguished road
3.4 V6 Engine Knock?

Hey everyone,

New to the forum and am trying to diagnose what I think is likely rod knock. I've attached a quick video of the engine at idle. The knocking noise is especially loud when the engine is cold. Once it heats up a bit it quiets down but still seems louder than the "Toyota Tick" I've seen people post about.

I've taken it to a transmission place and determined that is not a cracked flexplate. Another mechanic said the noise is coming from the engine and a rebuild/engine swap will be needed.

I just purchased the 4runner and had it inspected by a mechanic before purchasing....but here we are. I'm thinking its somewhat of a lost cause, but am hoping it might the lifter ticking.

Im located in the Bay Area and have received a quote from Yodaman in Santa Rosa for a rebuilt engine and it was $8,500 which is more than id be able to afford.

Engine: 3.4 V6

2000 4Runner Rod Knock? - YouTube
joehenry225 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote