View Single Post
Old 07-10-2022, 07:32 PM

schmauster is on a distinguished road

schmauster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by octanejunkie View Post
TBU can introduce soft pedal feel

Factory says 5-7, 2 is too low

Check the FSM for pedal height check/adjustment. If you didn't touch the MC or booster a booster/MC shaft length/adjustment shouldn't be necessary.

Have you tested ABS yet?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I have actuated the ABS on dirt roads and it works fine if thats what you mean. I have changed out the master cylinder and booster in the past so these things are absolutely valid things to check. Very helpful. Few origional parts remain on this 4Runner. It was neglected when i met my long time GF and it has 380,000 miles!

This will be my first plan of attack, i didnt realize the FSM had numbers on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toverturf View Post
I had this problem but without the TBU. I replaced the master cylinder, got stainless steel brake lines, rebuilt the rear brakes, bled it a ton, and nothing worked. Turns out it was the ABS module. Got a junkyard one and no more long pedal travel. I didn't have error codes or anything but clearly something was wrong with it.

Im going to check the adjustment of the pedal and brake rod first but ive got a feeling this might be my problem. Ive bled about 3/4 of a gallon through the system in one go and its still not getting much better. I had a bunch of hard crunchy chunks in one wheel cylinder. Maybe parts of the ABS module. Maybe ill crack the old broken ABS module open and see what failed if that ends up fixing it.

Rumor has it you can pull the ABS fuse to see if the pedal gets better. Maybe ill try it out.

Hope this goes smoothly for me. Next thing on the list is getting the mice out of the vents and a new heater core..

Last edited by schmauster; 07-10-2022 at 07:38 PM.
schmauster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote