Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 07-11-2022, 04:21 PM
USStrongman

USStrongman

His video is pointless. Let me explain.

A few things to consider. Roof rack ratings are not REQUIRED by the NHTSA nor the DOT. Its not required. You know what is required? Rollover safety ratings. Static roof rating numbers are not required. Roof sustainability and integrity in the event of a rollover are. So where does that leave "Roof Rack Ratings"? No where. The legal teams for every manufacturer develop a magic number that is plausible for use as a rack for "everyday use", but not for what overlanding, camping, etc consumers really put them through.

The primary issue with his rack on that truck was two fold; aerodynamic uplift by the equipment on the rack (2 sets of MaxTrax took up at least 60% of the sq' foot surface) and due to Rhinos design... sitting many inches above the roof line combined with a terrible fastening design by Rhino for that rack. Why did it fail? Because it was too heavy? The heavy equipment was rocking side to side offroad and pulling the rack apart? If that's the case, then the video fails conclusively for its reasons. He solely focused on downward weight, which wasn't the problem. The roof did not fail, the rack did.

Of the bajillions of roof racks on road and off road vehicles, how many have ACTUALLY failed? The Jeep crowd complains about the potential for failure on gutter style mounts. I repeatedly asked to show me one that failed. Crickets. I ran a gutter mount for 4 years and mounted as much as 270lbs on it throughout CA, AZ, NM, TX, CO, UT, ID, MT, NV, LA. Never an issue. Removed the rack and added a different design at 40k miles and once I took the gutter clamps off, the only noticeable issue was paint fade outside the clamping zone. Texas sun.

The bottom line is he is wrong. His logic in a 1 dimensional world kinda makes sense, but in this reality, it just doesn't. Aerodynamics are the primary culprit for potential failure.... of course second to design and construction. Look at the current crop of laser cut racks for 4Runners. Most are now putting a low slung deflector above the windshield. Two fold. Reduces noise to keep passengers happy but more so, it deflects air up and away from the cargo on the rack, ie; the potential lift issue with huge square foot roof top tents, storage cases, spare tires, etc..
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote