Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 07-23-2022, 09:02 PM

RodrickHeffley has a spectacular aura about RodrickHeffley has a spectacular aura about

RodrickHeffley has a spectacular aura about RodrickHeffley has a spectacular aura about
Yesterday and today I got the Gentex 177 mirror that I got out of a 2000 Yukon installed.

Since I don't have a field monitor (or the din for one either) this was my next best choice. It has all the features but the altimeter.
When I did the 99+ Overhead mod, I unknowingly (at the time) left a blue 12v wire that was used for the old relay disconnected like you're supposed to. This seemingly useless wire at the time came in very handy later. I was doing research into what to tap into so I went and looked at the install for that, and was scrolling through until I saw it. Seeing that made everything way easier.

EDIT:I actually ended up switching it to the switched power wire that the sunroof operates through for both this and my dashcam because it was draining the battery.

This provides constant power and was the perfect wire for me to tap into as it didn't require any bridge connectors. I wired up the two USB ports and the mirror to the same one. One USB is for the Garmin dash cam that isn't pictured. Getting the mirror installed was easy. I tapped into said power wire, then connected the other ground wire to the ground for the sunroof.

I ran two wires through the firewall with a coathanger for the temp sensor and mounted it below the drivers' side headlight. I ran it beneath the dash panel, between the weather stripping and the dash, then up towards the A-Pillar. I couldn't get the loctite off the two screws on the A-Pillar so I just ran the wire between it and the windshield for now, which is actually hard to notice unless you're looking for it, then ran them up above the headliner (also temporary until I get the A-Pillar off) and to the mirror.

I routed the main power cable for the mirror and the USBs through the mirror passthrough on the overhead, which provides a nice clean way to hide them. The two to the left there are for the temp sensor.

The hardest part for sure was getting the thing to work in the first place. This picture is my attempt to use the OEM mirror mount, which would work. However, it'd be best to do that approach if you have the 96-98 overhead, which it will fit with, with the sunglasses/garage door opener holder, there was no space for the mirror and I wouldn't be able to open the holder. As I suspected, I had to mount it to the windshield, which wasn't too big of a hassle because I had the things to mount it already, as I had a feeling I couldn't mount it OEM-style.

This here is a picture of what you COULD do if you had the 96-98 overhead.

It powered on the first time, then when I went to route the wires, it got stuck in a strange mode where the compass was trying to calibrate and the temp sensor was suck on -40 degrees C. I had no clue what to do to fix that after doing about an hours worth of googling so called it a night. The next morning (today) I installed it and plugged it in and it did the same thing but said -35 F this time. I let it sit for about an hour and in that time it fixed itself, so my biggest problem had no reasonable solution.

Finished product, planning to wrap the wires together properly once I have the temp wires in the correct place.

Anyway, that's about it for this one, looking to do some more stuff soon when I have access to a soldering iron and a better toolset at my friends house. I'm pretty happy with this one and how it turned out (especially once it started to work) as this mod got me set on the rabbithole of everything else I have to do. I installed one of these in a buddys Dakota but was excited to do it on my own truck.
Build Thread
----------------

Last edited by RodrickHeffley; 11-09-2023 at 12:45 PM.
RodrickHeffley is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote