Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 08-04-2022, 11:02 AM

K4R77 is on a distinguished road

K4R77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MStudt View Post
95-00 Tacoma's have a different LCA than the 01-04 Tacoma's. The early models had sway bar links that attached at the LCA and sway bar. The later model doesn't have the lower tab, and attached at the sway bar and spindle. The sway bar is also more narrow on the early model vs the later. So like @phattyduck said, make sure you know what you're getting. Getting the later model won't do you any good unless you but the spindles as well.

You can also just extend the front links, and achieve nearly the same results with a third of the work.

Mike
Thanks for the information this just seems to be getting more complicated.

I must be looking at the wrong trims or something here. When I go look up parts for a Tacoma I get the following number for one of the LCAs: 48069-35120

If you look at the compatibility of that part it fits nearly every model from 95-04 so it seems that the LCA did not change in 2001. So it will always have that upper tab whether or not it is being utilized. Unless it only did for certain trims that I'm not seeing.

Also if I look up the steering knuckle 43201-35071 it fits pretty much every trim from 95-04 so it doesn't seem that a tab was added for a sway bar link, unless it is on every year.

However, when you look at sway bars there are a few different options and they seem to meet the cutoff criteria that we are discussing. 48811-04110 fits the 2001-2004 4wd models whereas 48811-04040 fits the 1995-2000 4wd models.

If Sonoran steel is creating a tab that goes on top of the control arm and allows a sway bar from 2001-2004 to be used the I would expect that it is mounting to a similar location as the Tacoma, to the tab on top on the LCA.

So perhaps the TRD trim or something is where the sway bar setup is even different. If anyone has some different part numbers for me to look at, let me know because i think I'm missing something.

Also, since I'm replacing at least control arm bushings and probably just control arms entirely, I'm not concerned about the amount of work, or even the cost... to a point. If the Tacoma sway bar is just a very slight improvement over an extended 4runner link then I think it would be worth it.