Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 08-04-2022, 12:59 PM
official vendor

MStudt is a name known to all MStudt is a name known to all MStudt is a name known to all MStudt is a name known to all MStudt is a name known to all MStudt is a name known to all
official vendor

MStudt is a name known to all MStudt is a name known to all MStudt is a name known to all MStudt is a name known to all MStudt is a name known to all MStudt is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4R77 View Post
Thanks for the information this just seems to be getting more complicated.

I must be looking at the wrong trims or something here. When I go look up parts for a Tacoma I get the following number for one of the LCAs: 48069-35120

If you look at the compatibility of that part it fits nearly every model from 95-04 so it seems that the LCA did not change in 2001. So it will always have that upper tab whether or not it is being utilized. Unless it only did for certain trims that I'm not seeing.

Also if I look up the steering knuckle 43201-35071 it fits pretty much every trim from 95-04 so it doesn't seem that a tab was added for a sway bar link, unless it is on every year.

However, when you look at sway bars there are a few different options and they seem to meet the cutoff criteria that we are discussing. 48811-04110 fits the 2001-2004 4wd models whereas 48811-04040 fits the 1995-2000 4wd models.

If Sonoran steel is creating a tab that goes on top of the control arm and allows a sway bar from 2001-2004 to be used the I would expect that it is mounting to a similar location as the Tacoma, to the tab on top on the LCA.

So perhaps the TRD trim or something is where the sway bar setup is even different. If anyone has some different part numbers for me to look at, let me know because i think I'm missing something.

Also, since I'm replacing at least control arm bushings and probably just control arms entirely, I'm not concerned about the amount of work, or even the cost... to a point. If the Tacoma sway bar is just a very slight improvement over an extended 4runner link then I think it would be worth it.
I personally feel that you're making this more complicated than it needs to be. You have 2 people telling you the same things, and @phattyduck is one of the most knowledgeable members on here.

The 95-00 Tacoma will use a single joint sway bar link with a bushing on the other end. This link looks the exact same as your 3rd Gen, but shorter, and mounts the same way. The 01-04 Tacoma will use a double joint sway bar links with no bushings. This link looks the exact same as the 03+ 4runner, but shorter, and mounts in a similar fashion.

Scratch the spindle, you're fine there.

The sway bar is different as noted on SS's page, and they state to get the 48811-04110 sway bar from an 01-04 model. This is needed since it's narrower than the earlier models, and the ends are not oriented the same. The 48811-04110 will have vertical mounting points while the early model will have horizontal mounting points.

The SS tabs will be mounted in a similar fashion and location to an 01-04 Tacoma.

I'm also 100% confident the sway bar design and links changed in 01. I sell extended sway bar links, and have to know about these changes in models.

Mike