Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 08-12-2022, 04:44 AM

Travel2 is on a distinguished road

Travel2 is on a distinguished road
4R Tire Balance - Michelin LTX/MS Defenders

This may be old news, etc. I have owned 6 new 4R's, AWD. 08-12-13-15-18 and now this 22-AWD. Never an issue with Michelins that could not be corrected.

January this year, took delivery 22 4R. As you know, we wait on what is in the pipeline, or order, same thing. The next day, trip to Discount Tire. Take off the Bridgestones, install 4 new Michelin LTX/MS Defenders, 78 miles on the ODO.

Took it home and parked it in garage, covered it up, as we have Tacoma in use every day. It stayed there for 11 weeks, then my wifes dad had serious complications with his health, packed up the 4R and left for Florida. I had no thoughts of anything wrong with these tires, from past history with this brand and tire.

Surprise, surprise. At 62 mph up to 80 mph, vibration, in the steering wheel and the seat. I have had this issue on new Tacomas in the past years, and always corrected when the 6 pin lug centric balancing was used. This dealer only had cone centric balancing.

Called the dealer while enroute. Said to bring it back, except we had to continue, and I advised them we would visit the Discount Tire dealer in Lakeland.
A few days later, made appt there. Explained my problem, they addressed it.

Balanced the 4 tires. I go to xpwy, nothing changed, same exact vibration at speeds. Go back, they put their ace mech on it. He said he knows Toyotas, he owns a 4R. They go to it.
I leave, nothing changed. No time for this, my wifes dad is close to passing on.

We had to stay in FL up to March 20, all legal issues with this situation. Returned home to TN, visited the Discount Tire here. Explained again. They balance the tires, tell me all is good. Not so, same issue. I understand indexing, Hunter Road Force, Hawkeye adapters, etc.

It is getting discouraging, and I visited another Michelin dealer. They work on it, and advised me if this does not work for you, contact Michelin.

That is another problem. I do that, and get automated responses. Finally call them, a guy answers the phone, and recognizes my name. He tells me to make an appt with the original dealer, he is going to call them and straighten this out.

Appt made back to the dealer, I write to Michelin, explain how are they going to do anything different after 4 visits to balance. I get another machine response, that they are aware of my issue. Crazy times.

Michelin now wants a report from the tire dealer about the tires. I believe that there may be an issue with the tires. My final visit, will be to the Toyota dealer, let them examine everything. I took delivery with only 4 miles on the ODO.

Travel2
Attached Images
4R Tire Balance - Michelin LTX/MS Defenders-img_1387-jpg 
Travel2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote