Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 08-14-2022, 08:51 PM

dauphin is on a distinguished road

dauphin is on a distinguished road
5th Gen LE JBL w/ Nav - works fine but I'd like more bass. Add sub? Upgrade sub?

Please keep in mind that the JBL system (w/ Nav) seems to be VERY different from the stock system (e.g., ohm ratings, crossovers, integrated through the amp rather than coming from headunit, and more.). Also, the 4th gen used a different JBL system so I'm not clear that the threads I found for the 4th gen JBL upgrades/mods are all that applicable. But I can link them here if desired.

This post is pertaining to the Limited 5th gen (2011) JBL system (with Navigation). In more cases than not, the forum threads here described JBL w/ Nav audio system modifications as being an all-or-nothing endeavor (replace speakers along with headunit).

To be honest, I'm fairly happy with my JBL system and the sound. But blasting the bass is a stress management tool that I've depended on it more and more since COVID . The JBL sub isn't lacking, per se. Just - if some is good, more is better, right? I just want a small step up in terms of thump. And I don't want to have to overhaul the whole system.

OEM audio sells these JBL-Equipped 4Runner Systems - OEM Audio Plus products (complete speaker/sub replacement for 3K, or an "enhancement" (sub replacement plus amp and wiring harness) for 1K. It appears the enhancement is a replacement of the (?) 6" JBL sub for an 8" sub (but entails pulling and sending the enclosure to them, so... more $$$ ugh). Unfortunately, 1K is well out of my budget at the moment. Additionally, a local car audio installer gave me a (ballpark) quote of nearly that much for both labor and components (12" sub and custom box). For what it's worth, they recommended using a boxed sub and said that I would have to disconnect the JBL OEM sub. I don't really remember -why-.

I've seen these threads here, but I'm not clear on the outcome.
Adding Mono Amp & 10" Sub to JBL 15 Speaker
(User hasn't posted on forums since 2020 dadgummit!)

5th gen JBL stereo upgrade build Diary
Same; no updates since 2020 (this one was doing a complete overhaul including headunit BUT he's got a lot of data on what WAS in his JBL system).

This post: https://www.toyota-4runner.org/2310234-post20.html from this thread: 5th Gen JBL Stereo - warning to those upgrading speakers but keeping Head unit APPEARS to give some helpful advice except a lot of it is kind of vomited out without explanation. AND it is also 6 years old - are there any things that would be done differently after 6 years of technology upgrades??

I'm a DIY car audio newbie. Because keeping cost down is a priority, I hope to do a lot of the installation myself but depending on the suggestions offered, I may need a little direction at times on what to learn/read up on next!

A final note: A sub box has been suggested but I have a third row. Finding a sub box that will fit in the very limited space between the third row seat (when it's up) and the hatch seems like another layer of challenge that I'm not sure I want to tackle. I usually don't use my third row seats anyway, but IF I were to need to use them for some reason, I'd like to be able to temporarily remove it fairly easily.

Anyway, TL;DR or summary of the question is:
1) Would like to increase bass on existing JBL w/Nav system
2) Keeping cost down is a priority
3) DIY-newbie friendly is a plus (not required; but I might need some guidance or direction for further study)
4) IF I do a sub box, is there one that will fit behind 3rd row or should I get something with quick disconnect connectors?

Final note:
For what it's worth, I called Crutchfield to ask what might fit my requirements AND budget and they recommended

This sub box:https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P50...-P500-12P.html
Or this one: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P30...h-P300-10.html

Any difference of opinion on this? And is this an install that a relative newbie could handle? If I -don't- have to disconnect the JBL OEM sub, then I'm pretty sure the 10" sub will be fine. I can afford that one a lot better than the 12".