Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 08-16-2022, 01:12 PM

alia176 will become famous soon enough alia176 will become famous soon enough

alia176 will become famous soon enough alia176 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwh963 View Post
long time issue here. took 4runner (2007 230k v6 4wd one owner) to the dealer in March. after $300 in diagnostics, they determined my issue is with the ABS control module back feeding into the system.

PLEASE REFERENCE THREAD: Brake lights constantly on?

afterwards, i examined the plastic encased module and noticed impact backs in the case. very weird. did it let in moisture for years and damage the computer boards?? no idea what happened.

since, been trying to figure if there is an alternative answer. even at discount, a new module is about $800 (P/N 47217-35010), new Master cylinder with booster is $1200 (P/N 47025-35070). add labor to that.

backstory: the original master /abs module was replaced any about 111k miles because of constant squealing. put in a used unit that had about 70k miles on it. things were fine until the past year or so (based on people telling me my brake lights are constantly on).

so, after several months, i'm am considering biting the bullet and replacing the unit again. now, i'm wondering how common this issue is. i think economically the best bet is to go with a used unit that includes the master cylinder ($1200 part), and having it independently installed. maybe three hours labor charge. probably in over $500. it is a crapshoot. i'm having to go on the dealer's conclusion. could be wrong.

does anyone have experience with these units, and their installation?
My aplogies for not reading the entire thread but I can add something. I picked up an used unit from a buddy who owns a 100 series LC and it matches mine. The only thing that wears out, from what I can tell, is the motor brushes and bearing. The motor is constantly pressurizing the brake system so it makes sense that those two items would wear out. I suppose the solenoid valve is also an wear item but they're not operating on a continuous duty cycle. Besides, they're just stupid on/off valves which aren't typically known to fail. Perhaps a piece of debris in the brake fluid would prevent a valve from closing shut completely but that's a stretch.

I took apart the spare unit and noticed the brushes weren't that worn down. You might recall that the motor sits vertically and the bearing that sits at the bottom had way more crud fell on top of it. Someday, I may replace both bearings and brushes, clean up the commutator then put it back on the shelf as a spare but good unit.

I'm disappointed that I didn't more pics but I have a pic of the actual motor shaft bearing for future reference.

I guess the moral of the story is if you have your spare motor, take it apart and see what's up. The chances of an electronic part like an ECU going bad is close to zero. Toyota simply makes robust parts that lives a long time.

I hope this helps!
Attached Images
Anyone replace ABS Control Module/Brake Booster??-4runner-abs-motor-bearing-pic-jpg 

Last edited by alia176; 08-16-2022 at 02:44 PM.
alia176 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote