Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 08-17-2022, 07:40 PM

gookies is on a distinguished road

gookies is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drcoffee View Post
The gas tank straps might be ready to break away now as it is. Check them out thoroughly. It might be best to just replace the straps, bolts and brake lines now while the weather is nice.

I replaced my fuel pump last year and the rear strap was completely rusted thru. I just did them at the same time. My gas tank skid was swiss cheese. Had replace it too. Advice on removing the gas tank strap bolts is soak them good with pb blaster for the week before. Then work the bolts out slowly. Start by tightening it first and then walk it in and out until the rust breaks off. Hit the visible threads with pb blaster from both sides. The bolts are pretty stout 14mm heads IIRC but plan on replacing them with new ones, the threads will be eaten away. Its the skid plate bolts you need to be careful with. They are smaller and will snap. If you are careful, you can use an impact gun with short bursts. Its the solid torque of pulling on them that shears them off. The impact will walk them off bit by bit.

Just because one brake line is rusted does not mean they all are. What I have seem is where the vinyl coating got scraped and exposed the steel to corrosion. The other lines might still be fine or not nearly as bad.

I gave my kid a 99 4runner and 2 years ago thr right rear line started leaking. I will be out her way in a few weeks and swap out that line to get it running again. No plans to replace more than I have to. Its hubbies hunting rig now
Yeah, the straps are definitely rusted and this was the bolt they were scared to remove.

https://i.imgur.com/QZA9ifl.jpg
gookies is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote