Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 08-21-2022, 12:22 AM

Metal Head will become famous soon enough

Metal Head will become famous soon enough
LASFIT H11 LED Headlight Review

I was lucky enough to be chosen as one of the forum members for the LASFIT H11 headlight review. I was impressed to make the cut as I told Emma from LASFIT in advance of being selected I don't get involved with any social media and I was only interested in doing an honest review here on T4R.org. I was given a discount code to use for the headlights on Aug. 10th and LASFIT had them to my door in Florida by the 13th.

A lot of my review is going to sound repetitive with what other members have said, and even LASFITS own advertising, but I think it is important to put out there anyway as it at least shows some consistency with the quality output of the company.

The headlights were shipped in a sealed USPS bag, mine arrived with no damage to the box whatsoever but this does seem like a bit of a gamble with the post office. The actual product packaging is very good quality and seems like it would protect the bulbs well from rough handling.

IMG_0068 by EricT4R, on Flickr

IMG_0070 by EricT4R, on Flickr

Installation is pretty straight forward so I won't get into that here. LASFIT put out a video themselves that shows the basic installation procedure. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDgiWTCrnok

Here is a quick shot with the LASFIT installed on the passenger side with the stock halogen bulb from my 2017 4Runner still in the driver side.

IMG_0073 by EricT4R, on Flickr

Stock Halogen

IMG_0075 by EricT4R, on Flickr

LASFIT H11

IMG_0074 by EricT4R, on Flickr

With one of each bulb still installed as above, the next two photos show the Peak Hold LUX reading from about 25 ft. away on my workshop door. I moved the meter around in the beam pattern to find the brightest area for both bulbs. The LASFIT LUX reading is 1085 compared to 643 for the factory halogen according to this Amazon lux meter I picked up for this test.

IMG_0089 by EricT4R, on Flickr

IMG_0091 by EricT4R, on Flickr

The cutoff line for both lights is very similar. I did not make any adjustments to the housing for this test.

IMG_0097 by EricT4R, on Flickr

I had not driven my truck anywhere today so both housings were at the same temp when the LED was installed in the passenger side for testing. These next few photos show the temp gun readings I got right in front of the bulbs, and on the back of the dust cover. These readings were all taken back to back so the run time for both headlights was the same other than the few seconds it took between measurements. I pulled the temp gun out from under the hood after getting the dust cover readings just to make it easier to photograph.

Stock halogen front

IMG_0092 by EricT4R, on Flickr

Stock Halogen Dust Cover

IMG_0096 by EricT4R, on Flickr

LED front shown for measurement distance consistency only. My 10yo son was helping me get these pics with his Ipad and I think he deleted the photo I needed. I was getting 98°F on the front of the LED housing so the housing is staying cooler than with the Halogen.

IMG_0093 by EricT4R, on Flickr

LED Dust cover temps, you can see the bulb is running hotter than the halogen, but the fans in the dust cover are doing their job pulling the heat out of the housing.

IMG_0095 by EricT4R, on Flickr

Now for the good ones. This is in my back yard, and the distance to the tree line is about 180 feet. I replaced the stock halogen into the passenger side housing at this point so the photos are full stock Halogen, vs. full LASFIT H11 LED. I tried to be very consistent with the focal point and resting the Ipad on the steering wheel in both photos to make the comparison as clear and fair as possible.

IMG_0098 by EricT4R, on Flickr

IMG_0103 by EricT4R, on Flickr

All of these driving photos are just with the LED's. I'm disappointed with the moving shots from the Ipad but I can honestly say the headlight output is drastically better than stock without being obnoxious. I drove around for about 30 minutes and did not have anyone flash their brights at me. These seem to cut through street lights better and not get washed out. They also seem to have more consistent and full beam pattern illuminating the sides of the road better. I don't feel like I'm overrunning my headlights or straining to see at night anymore.

IMG_0107 by EricT4R, on Flickr

IMG_0111 by EricT4R, on Flickr

IMG_0123 by EricT4R, on Flickr

IMG_0127 by EricT4R, on Flickr

IMG_0131 by EricT4R, on Flickr

After the drive I pulled out the temp gun again and shot the same passenger housing and it was now only reading 99°F after running around all this time. There was no issue holding my hand on the housing.

IMG_0136 by EricT4R, on Flickr

I wanted to find something negative to write so this doesn't sound like some paid review or something but I couldn't find anything to fault with these headlights. Everything from the company communication to packaging to the wiring connectors seem to be of good quality and the light output is much better than stock. Installation on the drivers side is pretty tight with the larger fan/dust cover because of the factory battery location but it is not making contact with anything. I do need to double check that dust cover when it's light out tomorrow to make sure I have it seated right but this is not anything I would count against LASFIT. I was honestly searching the forum for bulb upgrades I could use in the stock housings when I saw this testing invitation came up so the timing was crazy. With that being said I would not have been disappointed if I'd paid full price for these.

I told LASFIT I wouldn't post a review until after 90 days so I could get some sort of "long term" review but I wanted to go ahead and get all these photos uploaded and throw out my initial impressions. I plan to continue to update this thread and I will be monitoring the housings to make sure no dust or condensation issues come up. I live in FL so these will be exposed to a lot of heat & rain. I also have some wheeling trips coming up in the next couple months so possibly mud and a lot of vibration. I will be running my lights at all times just to get some hours on them and will make sure to report back if anything comes up.

Thanks LASFIT!

https://www.lasfit.com/products/h11-...32056052514900

Last edited by Metal Head; 08-21-2022 at 12:47 PM.
Metal Head is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote