View Single Post
Old 08-23-2022, 12:45 PM

joefbtg28 is on a distinguished road

joefbtg28 is on a distinguished road
Some boat. Torn between 5th gen 4runner and GX460

Hey all.
I currently have a 2006 4runner sport that I have had for about 7 years. It has been one of my favorite vehicles, but I am ready to get something a bit different. Initially I was cross shopping the 4th gen 4runner to 5th gen and noticed there are some significant features missing. The big ones for me are the auto climate control and center diff lock. I am aware I could get these features in the limited, but I'm not a fan of 20" wheels on a truck or the front end look. In mountain driving I have never thought the v6 engine was adequite, but it was a decent compramise for how great the truck is overall. These are the things that led me to start looking at the GX460. I love the idea of the v8 with 6 speed in the mountains. I do offroad a fair amount getting to camping, fishing, hiking, and backcountry skiing spots, but not as a hobby. I would probably do a mild lift, tires, and not much else.

My main question is for the 5th gen 4runner people. How do you get around not having the center diff lock? The manual states you are not supposed to use 4wd in situations where the tires are not allowed to slip. In situations like highway driving transitioning from dry pavement to snow/ice and back? In the past, I have always tried to be in 4wd before I needed it. Also, any opinions on how much of a hindrance the 2014+ GX grille is for rugged forest service road type driving. I am currently leaning towards a 2010-2013 GX, but these are getting harder to find. After that any opinions of which might fit me better would be greatly appreciated!

4th gen 4runner Sport:
  • Pro: Auto climate control
  • Pro: Center Diff Lock
  • Pro: rear seats fold flat for camping
  • Pro: Pioneer stereo with apple carplay
  • Con: No leather in my sport.

5th gen 4runner:
  • Pro: Can replace stereo/add apple carplay
  • Pro: Third row is an option. Can spec without. Seems slide out tray version does fold down flat??
  • Pro: leather is optional and can be specced. I wan't leather as it seems easier to keep clean of dog hair.
  • Con: No center diff lock without limited. Can't run 4wd on dry pavement or mixed conditions.
  • Con: v6 with 5 speed is underwhelming.
  • Con: Don't like front end on limited or 20" wheels.

Lexus GX460:
  • Pro: V8 with 6 speed. I want this!
  • Pro: Leather and interior quality
  • Pro: Generally better cared for and garaged.
  • Con: Can't replace stereo for Apple Carplay. Need to use Grom.
  • Con: Third row takes up space
  • Con: ground clearance slightly less. Can add suspension lift.
joefbtg28 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote