Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 09-20-2022, 09:54 PM

MickeyR is on a distinguished road

MickeyR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW89446 View Post
From one senior to another, in short I love my ‘18 SR5.

After years of reliable service and hard off roading, I gave my grandson my ‘02 Tacoma TRD 4x4 and got my ‘18 SR5. It does have factory NAV and 3rd row. I’ve just turned over 50,000 miles on it.

A lot of people complain about the ride, noise and handling of the T4R. I find it perfectly fine. Maybe it’s because, like you, we’ve grown up on cars and trucks of the past that someone today would think are abusive and torturous. I’ve had late model (and early ‘60s) Cadillacs and Lexus, but I think my T4R is quiet, rides well and has a quality feel. A friend with a noise level app on his phone measured the interior sound levels on my SR5 and declared it pretty quiet at 70 mph. Any modern vehicle, even a new Jeep Wrangler would put my rough riding, hard shifting, noisy 1970 Ford F-250 4x4 with no power anything, no AC, rubber floors and no padding anywhere, to shame. But I loved that truck and had a lot of fun with it. It taught me all my 4x4 skills.

I live in a rural, isolated area where 4WD gets used a lot in mud, ice and snow; on both dirt and paved two-lane roads. Mountains, canyons and wide open valleys. In all seasons. I use my T4R on my property like a tractor, a pickup (with my utility trailer) and it never complains. I’ve scratched the heck out of it on tight trails that are narrower than the 4Runner. It’s silver but in winter it’s mud ball brown. Makes no sense to wash it, as it would be mud ball brown before I make the nearest paved road. The back liftgate is perpetually dusty in summer.

I think the SR5 Premium is the best value of the T4R line for most, IF you are dead set on a T4R. Based upon your post, there are nice AWD alternatives.

I don’t know about the 2023 models; but in 2018 when I researched all models, it seemed to me that all of them had the same basic specs, tires, shocks, ground clearance as the SR5 except the TRD Pro. I loved my Tacoma TRD, but I’ve just gotten too old and beat up to go out and beat myself up more for recreation, so the TRD Off Road or Pro wasn’t a value to me due to their considerably higher costs. But I did want a body on frame SUV, and I wanted another Toyota.

For me I think I made the best choice for my needs and desires. And I expect it and my 2012 Subaru Outback Premium will be my last vehicle purchases before I end my driving years.

This is a very good watch on 4Runner and plant

ENGINEER EXPLAINS WHY TOYOTA 4RUNNER HAS BEST QUALITY IN THE WORLD // STILL BUILT IN JAPAN AT TAHARA - YouTube
MickeyR is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote