Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 09-28-2022, 08:46 AM

rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold

rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold rdruss is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckisling View Post
I have a 2004 v8 with 190,000 on it. I had similar situation with overheating except I was on the phone taking driving 80 mph when I noticed some stream coming out. By that time then looked down and noticed check engine light came on and then could hear ticking going on, then the engine then died and I coasted to side of the road. Had it towed to a shop close by and we put coolant in and it wouldn’t start. They did coolant test I think enzyme or something and it was fine. Then compression test and cylinder 3,4,7 and 8 all failed. They said engine is shot and I need a new one and quoted my around $10k. Do I need to do any more tests from another mechanic or is it safe to assume the heads are completely shot cracked or block cracked? There is no oil or coolant leaking anywhere on the vehicle. It fires up but of course dies with that many misfires. They gave me options to rebuild it at just under $10k and a new rebuilt engine at $11k with warranty. Any ideas, I’m at a lose what to do and I’m not dumping $10-11k into an engine?
How mechanically skilled are you and how much time do you have? Have vehicle towed to your place and start your own investigation until you are satisfied one way or other that engine is junk or not. Then decide what you are going to do. If it's junk you are going to spend some bucks, or walk away.
2003 Limited, V8, AWD. 4600 Bils/FJ springs, 1/2" spacer, SPC UCA, Super Pro bushings in front LCA and in all rear control arms, Michelin 265/65R17 LTX/Defenders, stock wheels with homemade center caps, Stop Tech slotted rotors w/Posi Quiet pads all around.
rdruss is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote