View Single Post
Old 10-02-2022, 02:00 AM

Lexington is a jewel in the rough Lexington is a jewel in the rough Lexington is a jewel in the rough

Lexington is a jewel in the rough Lexington is a jewel in the rough Lexington is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcjeeper View Post
My 2016 SR5 has 75k miles now. It runs well without any leak. I’m changing oil again and wonder if I should switch from Mobil 1 Fuel economy ow-20 to M1 high mileage ow-20? I see the HM label says for engines with 75k and above. Not sure if there is any advantage now. What do you use when the mileage is up to 75k?
I wouldn’t worry about it too much. There is no hard set mileage as to when you should start using high mileage oil. I’m sure as you know as a engine gets older gaskets and seals can start cracking which can cause leaks and the pistons wall can develops numerous micro scratched which can cause oil /fuel bypass. High mileage oil has additives that is suppose to cause seals to swell to prevent leaking and fill the micro scratches to prevent bypass. If you changed your oil frequently and have mostly highway miles your engine is probably still in good shape and you can still use regular oil. But if you haven’t been so diligent with your oil changes, driving mostly in the city, have a lead foot or have been doing a lot of towing, you may have worn your engine down a little more than normal and is probably in need of high mileage oil.

From your comment above it sounds like your engine is in good shape so I think it’s not urgent to change to high mileage just yet. Once you pass 100,000 you may want to consider switching to high mileage at that point. Just do your own research and decide when the time is right.

This may help. High Mileage Oil: A Practical Guide | Machinery Lubrication
Lexington is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote