View Single Post
Old 10-16-2022, 02:38 PM

chrisbagnell will become famous soon enough

chrisbagnell will become famous soon enough
The Long Awaited Return

A years worth of updates in one post
Hey everyone, I am just about to pass 180k miles on my 4Runner. Last time I posted I did not even have my front bumper yet. So lets start there

Demello Offroad BumperReturn to Directory

I waited until the 4th of July Sale in 2021 to order this, and got $160 off. Since I knew I wanted to do the later revision grille in the future, I decided to get the 06-09 version of the bumper with a single hoop, all in with shipping cost me $1690.00. Took about 5 months to show up, mostly due to COVID delays, the owner of DO was super cool and actually called me to give me updates. Looks like they don't sell this style anymore so I won't be able to link it.

Toyota GrilleReturn to Directory
Got the 06-09 TRD "Toyota" Style Grille and modified it to fit on my 04. Just cut the original reinforcement bar on the bottom of the original grille and drilled new holes to make it work. Using a Strong hanger for the hood latch.

Rust Prevention 2Return to Directory
Next was the Rust Prevention.. again. I just started going for my Masters at a new University that is right on the beach, so naturally I am exposed to salt 24/7, 365. When I say on the beach, I am 200ft from sand when I step out my door.

I do not have a lot of photos of this but I spent about a week cleaning the frame and applying POR-15 to every part that I was able to reach. After that dried, I put fluid film over everything. My main concern was a reaction that would hinder both, but others have done it and it worked fine. If anyone is going to do this just make sure you are 100% done with the POR-15 before putting fluid film on, as it is oil and is difficult to get off. This double barrier has done very well in the month and a half I have been at school, and I check it about every 2 weeks just to see if there is any rust building up.

In addition to this, I noticed clogged drainage holes in the frame, where rust has now built up. I took an air compressor and blew out the holes and then went back through with a magnet to get the rest, it was insane how much rust came out, but after coating the inside and outside with Fluid Film, I'm not worried

Instrument Cluster FixedReturn to Directory
For those that have been following this thread or have seen my posts, I tried changing the LEDs on my instrument cluster a few years back, and have had problems with the cluster motors ever since. I decided to buy a hot air station, and went to work. I now have 4 4th gen Instrument clusters laying around, and in retrospect I probably should have just sent it in to get repaired. The biggest issue I was having was that the "new" used clusters I got off eBay were not the same model, missing certain lights etc. I finally figured out how to transfer all of that from one cluster to another and got a functioning lights only board. I then realized that the only motors that were consistently breaking/not working for me were the Fuel gauge and temperature motor. So I decided to transfer the extra cluster speedometer motors into the Fuel and Temp gauge and it finally worked. The only thing I have to do now when I fill up the tank is disconnect and reconnect the battery to get proper reading on the fuel, but it is way easier than not knowing how much gas is in the car.

I made a diagram with all of the parts of the board labeled for anyone in the future but cannot find it, I will update the thread once I find it.

Possible Head Gasket FailureReturn to Directory
The past few oil changes I have sent out to Blackstone for analysis and I am waiting to hear on the latest change that was just sent out. They found coolant and other unusual substances in the oil that is raising concern. Once I hear back from them on this latest change I will decide how much longer before I need to get the head gasket changed. I saw several users recommending a top end gasket kit vs the headgasket kit as it will all have to come off either way. I need to find the time to do it or find someone that will do it for the right price.

Bonus Picture

In other news, I just started my own business with a few friends which has been a lot of fun so far. Slowly moving up in the world! Hope everyone has been doing well

Last edited by chrisbagnell; 10-16-2022 at 02:50 PM.
chrisbagnell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote