Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 10-23-2022, 06:15 PM

Too Stroked is a jewel in the rough Too Stroked is a jewel in the rough Too Stroked is a jewel in the rough

Too Stroked is a jewel in the rough Too Stroked is a jewel in the rough Too Stroked is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomF4E View Post
So I had to replace a bulb in my right-hand fog light, and I went with the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra and at first glance it certainly seems to be a vast improvement.

I'm considering getting the same brand and type for my headlights as well (I decided to just go ahead and replace both fog lamps).

Anyone have any experience with that particular type of bulb? I'm tempted to try LEDs at some point, but not sure just yet.

My headlights are fine for the moment, but just figured I'd poll the audience.

Bonus Question...Are the rear lights (brakes, turn signals, etc.) already LED on a 2006? I thought I read that somewhere, but maybe I'm just crazy? Haha.
Based on personal experience, I think you're going to discover that the Silverstars have a very short lifespan. (Not as short as regular Silverstars though.) If the bulb that blew in your fog lamp was more than a couple of years old, its performance would have degraded over that time and just about any new bulb would look brighter.

I'm a regular over at TacomaWorld.com and based on extensive testing, their resident expert on automotive lighting wrote this about 9003/H4 bulbs and I'm pretty sure the advice goes for all replacement bulbs even though your fog light bulbs are single filament.

Stock wattage high performance bulbs do not actually put out more light, instead they use smaller high precision filaments to make the light more focused and intense for the headlight to use more efficiently and project a brighter hotspot further.

These are currently the highest performing stock wattage bulbs on the market:

Philips Racing Vision +150 or +200 - Best low beam, reduced high beam output. Followed by Osram Nightbreaker +200.

Which bulb is best? Depends on your needs. The +150 bulbs are going to provide excellent low beam performance, but coat the high beam reducing performance. The Philips are rated at 200hrs. The GE +120s have a blue coating on the tip but leave both the low and high beam uncoated giving superior high beam performance with a slightly lower low beam performance over the other bulbs.
Too Stroked is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote