View Single Post
Old 10-27-2022, 09:40 PM

Berty_K has a spectacular aura about Berty_K has a spectacular aura about Berty_K has a spectacular aura about

Berty_K has a spectacular aura about Berty_K has a spectacular aura about Berty_K has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKotb View Post
I have a 2004 SE V8 and I'm in the process of bleeding mine now. I tried using a Mityvac brake bleeder on the rear lines but it wasn't effective.

I used a Mityvac 830 to draw most of the fluid from the reservoir front section, then refilled with Prestone DOT 3 MAX. I wanted to replace the fluid in the lines, since it had never been done. I used the brake pump for rear calipers.

I used a 17 oz. empty/clean water bottle with the clear PVC line from the Mityvac feeding through the bottle cap to the bottom, a couple inches of fluid in the bottle. I put the rear axle on jack stands, did one caliper at a time. I put the bottle above the axle, hose to the caliper bleed valve, opened the valve.

Ignition on (idiot lights on), engine not started, brake motor will run and stop. I pressed the brake pedal down and the pump ran. (If you do this too long the alarm beeps.) After about 6-7 seconds I let off the brake and checked the bottle and reservoir levels. (Do not let the reservoir go below minimum.) When I saw the fluid get lighter I felt the new stuff was in that line and did the other side. I had to empty the bottle once, refill reservoir twice for each side.

I tightened up the bleed screws, removed the bleed tube and bottle, removed jack stands and lowered the car.

For the front wheels I used the Mityvac, ignition off. Standard brake bleed; turn on Mityvac, open bleeder valve, draw fluid, close valve, check reservoir. Repeat on the other side. TIP: I use a small amount of beeswax on the bleeder screws to make stronger suction, fewer air bubbles.

I have a good brake pedal, no leaks.
Great- I'll give this a shot in a few days. Good tip on not using the pressure bleeder for the rears.