View Single Post
Old 10-30-2022, 04:17 PM

ArthurKotb has a spectacular aura about ArthurKotb has a spectacular aura about ArthurKotb has a spectacular aura about

ArthurKotb has a spectacular aura about ArthurKotb has a spectacular aura about ArthurKotb has a spectacular aura about
If the connection to the motor has 2 wires, one is positive, the other is ground. If there is only 1 wire then that's the positive. Ground would be through the metal case screwed to the metal body.

A 12 volt line to the motor that has a ground will run full speed. The resistor in the positive wire doesn't slow down full speed. For other speeds the resistor drops the voltage, generating heat in the resistor. The slower the speed, the more resistance and heat.

I had a '91 Camry that used different lengths of coiled wire as resistors for the 3 lower speeds. The low1 and low2 speeds burned out, so I had only high1 and high2. I had an old electric space heater that I was throwing out so I cut a couple of pieces of the heater wire to lengths that would be about the same as what had burned out and replaced the bad ones. Worked out great for as long as I had that car (29 years total).
ArthurKotb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote