Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 11-04-2022, 04:01 PM

AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future

AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by zguy1 View Post
I just heard back from the machine shop. They said the heads do not have any cracks but will need to be resurfaced as they are warped. They said this is typical of an aluminum head with that many miles. I believe they said it was out .003 which is out of spec according to them. They also said that several intake and exhaust valves were leaking. I believe it was 5 intake and 2 exhaust valves.

The machinist there said that doing a valve job would be expensive and recommended that I remove the valves and clean them up. He didn't recommend a valve job considering the miles and that I would most likely need to adjust the valves after.

He suggested that I replace the seals, gently wire brush the valves and use oven clean on them if needed. He also suggested that I lap the valves after. At that point I would bring the heads back and he would resurface them for me. This way there is no risk that I would mar the surface while working on the heads.

I'm not sure how to proceed. I'm hung up on the fact that there are valves leaking and that I am leaving it alone. I guess it is reasonable to expect the valves to be leaking considering the mileage on it.

Does his recommendation make sense and sound reasonable?

I appreciate the feedback as usual. I'm sure folks are sick of this head gasket thread already.
This is what these forums are for, to give, receive advice and to share with like minded people, so don't ever hesitate to ask for advice, especially on topics such as this where's there's not many if any topic already on the subject, the worst that can happen is no one replies, but that's unlikely!!

I would follow his recommendation, replace the seals and lap the valves, lapping the valves should solve the leaking valves as long as you get a uniform dull gray mating surface on both the valve and seat contact areas..unless some of the valves are warped, in which case you would need to replace them with a new one, just lapping the valve shouldn't cause you to have to go through the valve adjustment procedure.

Look at the valves and seats before starting to lap them, during and of course after so you can see the progress of getting that uniform matching mating surface.

As I mentioned watch some videos of how to lap valves to help you get the general idea of how it's done.

The number of valves you have to do will wear you out using a hand lapping tool, I would recommend either buying or getting a loan of a electric lapping tool set from a local parts store, but as mentioned don't go crazy with it do a little at a time until you get that uniform mating surface on both the valve and seat.

Don't forget to buy some valve lapping compound.

Last edited by AuSeeker; 11-04-2022 at 04:08 PM.
AuSeeker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote