Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 11-07-2022, 08:55 PM

Shock Surplus is on a distinguished road

Shock Surplus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by scfw0x0f View Post
I'd like to do this build trying to keep the weight down a bit, so we don't wind up a 7,000 pound armadillo (great phrase @Easyrider18 !). I'm very much a measure 2/3/4/5 times, cut once type.

It seems like we could select different armor grades--thin/thick, steel/Al--for different locations based on likelihood of damage and the severity of cost/risk for damage. The difference between (for example) a full set of Bud Built skids in 3/16 steel with a diff skid, and 1/4 Al without the diff skid, is 97 pounds, which is 6% of the total cargo capacity of the 4Runner.

Has anyone done this or looked into it?

My thinking so far. This is really just to get the decision process started.
  • Rock sliders: very high priority, because the downside is very expensive repairs.
  • Front skid: low priority, because with a front-facing camera we should be able to avoid most damage.
  • Mid-skid: medium priority, proximity to oil pan.
  • Tranny/transfer case: low priority, they are pretty sturdy.
  • Fuel tank: high priority, catastrophic failure modes.
  • Rear differential: medium priority.
  • KDSS components: low/medium, not critical but expensive to fix.
  • ABS sensors: low/medium, same as KDSS.
  • Something else?

Comments? Once I get these priorities worked out, and I'm looking to all of you for advice on that, I can look at the specifics of protecting each location.

Thanks!

Like others have said, really depends on the level of offroading one plans to do. If people plan to rock crawl at all steel over aluminum is a must. My 2 cents

Rock sliders: One of my first purchases, sliders are a must.
Front skid: Stock skids provide good enough protection for most, mine took a few hard hits if you are gonna touch any skid in the front its gonna be those
Mid-skid: Most people don't need it unless you are crawling, turtling and dragging ass
Tranny/transfer case: Most people don't need it unless you are crawling, turtling and dragging ass
Fuel tank: Mine have taken a few good hits, most won't need an upgrade unless you are in a very technical trail
Rear differential: medium priority.
KDSS components: Sliders and stock KDSS module skid plate will suffice for most people
Shock Surplus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote