Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 11-12-2022, 01:44 AM

RodrickHeffley has a spectacular aura about RodrickHeffley has a spectacular aura about

RodrickHeffley has a spectacular aura about RodrickHeffley has a spectacular aura about
Been a minute! My first semester of college started in August and I've been swamped. Now that I've gotten that under control, I've focused back onto the 'ol 4runner. I intend to make some writeups about the things I've done since I posted here last, which include the radio upgrade, the sun visors, both of which were a huge PITA, and that's about it actually.

I've found that that Gentex mirror I added in with the temp gauge has actually been really helpful because now I know exactly when my arms will freeze off instead of just hoping they don't, same with the scangauge, helps me keep track of my gas mileage (I've gotten a high of 22.1 MPG somehow on an entire tank), engine temps and others, I intend to write more about the rest when I do proper writeups on them hopefully soon.

One weird issue I was having was with my A/C system, it would only blow cold when I went downhill, but after realizing it was over pressure, I let some out and it started working which dumbfounded me but it's cool I guess.
I also got the P0171 fixed by cleaning out the MAF with some cleaner and finding a extremely obvious vac leak that I couldn't see because I was trying to find it at 1am.
Been pretty smooth! I put about 320mi on it a week and it's been handling like a champ.
I got it back from the shop around 272k and hit 275 last week. Overall, everything is going well, but I'm still ticked at the shop guys for how long it took considering they had all the parts and how they gave it back with more broken than not.

With winter here in the frigid tundra of Utah, I've been trying to make some QOL changes for winter:
Things I've done:
-Replaced drivers wiper arm as it was rusty and not working well
-Replaced the '2' washer sprayers with some '3s' from a 1998 Rav-4 so I can see (at least until the wiper arms freeze)
Things yet to do:
-Add J-Hook adapter to rear wiper so it actually works
-Wire up lightbar to OEM stalk (Waiting to get the rest of the rusty bolts off the front of the frame rails)
-Change interior LEDs to orange so they're less harsh
-3 spoke steering wheel upgrade (Ideally with the buttons)
-Replace rear seat grab handle as somehow I snapped the plastic

Some other things that I'd like to do eventually include adding some heated mirrors so I don't have to hope to high hell I don't cut someone off while merging lanes (thanks salt!)
-Another is maybe adding some kind of blind spot assist, which I believe is possible but I haven't looked into much.
-A taco whip would be nice as my motorized antenna is starting to die on me.
-Down the road I'd also like to swap in some BMW seats but the wiring and bolt attaching looks daunting so I'm putting that off for now.

Last week I had some good tests of the 4runner's capabilities, and by that, I mean UDOT hadn't done a good job on the roads. Last Monday I was going along when suddenly the road went from plowed to not, the rear end swung out and I quickly spun the wheel around so instead of flying into the median barrier I instead went off onto the shoulder which thankfully had no wall, which was scare number one. This Monday I was driving on I-80 when suddenly everyone in front of me stopped which gave me a good time to test out my brakes, which seeing as I'm posting this, worked pretty well.
Only problems I've been having is with salt covering my windshield and my wipers and mirrors freezing so I can't see. Now I get why they call it "SALT" lake I suppose.

You might be asking yourself what I've been doing in the meantime, and to be honest, college has kicked my ass pretty hard.
HOWEVER:
It's given me time to think while I take the bus to school, and I came up with an idea seen here: Interior Fuse panel cover button mount - Looking for feedback

In short, it's a panel that covers the existing interior fuse box while providing more switch areas.

Tomorrow I'm going to four junkyards to grab all the stuff that I plan on using, which is gonna be a process, got a VERY long list, hopefully I get at least some of what I need, normally the stuff I really want is picked clean almost instantly.

Lame update, I know, I've just been so busy that I can't focus on stuff for more than a day or so at a time.

*SNEAK PREVIEW*
Build Thread
----------------

Last edited by RodrickHeffley; 11-09-2023 at 12:47 PM.
RodrickHeffley is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote