View Single Post
Old 11-15-2022, 09:01 PM

pixologics is on a distinguished road

pixologics is on a distinguished road
Weird ABS brake noise issue

Hello all,
I've a 2004 Toyota 4runner SR5 2wd model with 135k miles on it. For the last few weeks (2 months) it has been making some weird noise when I am slowing down. There's no pattern to when the noise will come and sometimes it come when speed is less than 40mph and I'm gradually slowing down.
This noise seem to be coming from the ABS unit. I recently got all the 4 brake pads done. My mechanic was not sure whether the noise could be because of some bubbles brake line so we went ahead and did complete brake bleeding. It did help a bit with better brake performance but the noise has not gone.
There is no check engine light or ABS light in instrument cluster.

At this time I am not sure if there's something wrong with ABS unit. I did try to search into archives and some of the posts that have youtube videos and it sounds very similar.

Question is if I've to get this ABS unit repaired.
1. Should I look for a brand new complete unit
2. Or I just need to get the ABS pump motor replaced
3. Pump motor and Actuator replaced.
Do these need to be brand new or some remanufactured/used would also work that salvage yards sell as parts?
Or should I take it some more shops to get better diagnosis?

Any parts shop/links that I can get from in South California?
pixologics is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote