Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 11-15-2022, 09:45 PM

werminghausen is on a distinguished road

werminghausen is on a distinguished road
Hi Duffdog,

It seems I was lucky ...at least so far 2500 miles after the overheating event all seems 'normal'. No excessive oil usage and no coolant 'losses' that I could report of.
You mention power loss... but I cannot report about a power loss either.

So maybe 2003V8LTD was right saying 'you may be just fine'... well let's say I am lucky for now?

[The 4.7L is one of the most overbuilt, undertuned, and totally robust engines on the planet. IIRC, the engine was used in 1998-2004 Land Cruisers, which were used in some really beastly conditions in mission-critical settings.I have a feeling you'll be just fine but as one of the other posters said, inspect the oil for metal shavings before concluding same. If it's running well after 100 miles or so, chalk it up to Just One Of Those Things.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffdog View Post
I have had this same thing happen to my engine. Forget about "diagnosing" it, it is junk and needs to be repaired. All engines, regardless of manufacturer, suffer some amount of unrecoverable damage after overheating. In the case of the 2UZ-FE, the heads are the first thing to warp. The warpage occurs between the cylinder walls which tends to suck in coolant and blow it out the exhaust at a minimum or at a maximum, severely lower the engine power at high RPM's due to exhaust gas "overlap" between cylinders. Do yourself a favor and find 2 replacement heads from another engine which was not overheated, take the heads to get decked, pull a vacuum on them and have all the valves and seats checked and simply rebuild the top end of your engine and be confident that you have addressed the issue.

In the case of my T4R, I installed a digital cylinder head temperature gauge which shows real time temperature of the actual aluminum in the heads so that I can know if my engine is ever going near overheating in the future and catch it before it does. I also did not like that there is no coolant level warning feature and figured that cylinder head temp is a good indicator of actual engine temperature.
werminghausen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote