Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 11-19-2022, 07:05 PM

Turfboy will become famous soon enough

Turfboy will become famous soon enough
Got some sunshine today..... Attempted to install rear shocks.

Rear shock driver side came out ok. Terrible clearance around top bolt and the shock body spun independently of the piston rod. But hey, it is a DIY project.

Now on to the install.....FAILED.

Written instructions are very poor. Well there is a youtube channel for that eh?

Not really.. Found something re a tacoma that showed the stack build. OK got the stack built. Dang, the built stack has no bolt showing.

I removed the cover and found a bump stop under the mud guard. I see it leaves quite abit of residue on the main shaft but it will move around. Should I remove it? Tried to call Ironman USA on the weekend..... Nope tech closed, retail open.

I made an executive decision to leave the bump stop on, I pushed it down the piston rod to provide MAX area for the stack. IT Worked! sorta.

Ironman Foam Cell Pro install-20221119_140812-jpg

In Ironman USA videos they say to vicegrip this black nubbin and tighten down the nut. Yah about that... It just ain't gonna happen even if you grind/pound significant body work away from that top bolt. Please note the stack in the picture is loose. The problem is the nylock nut engages so early that the shaft begins to spin before there is enough area to grab/engage the shaft. As it sits on the kitchen table I can partially get a 15/64 ignition wrench on it. On the car? There is gonna be a whole lot of

Items to note: That protective cover is a PITA. Since the shock has no gas pressure you must lift the shock body up or extend the piston rod. If you grab the cover to do this it pushes the stack off the rod. You must hold it by the very bottom of the shock. If you can get the top installed then it will extend down to the lower mount.

Speaking of the lower mount. The mount is not centered and out of alignment (on purpose) Make sure you put a sharpie to the side you want facing out (when dry fitting) cause it is tough to see when you are outside on the ground looking at it.

I plan on calling Ironman USA on Monday to see if the short nubbin/long nut is a defect or they say to grid down the nylock nut. I will be sure to document it if they say to grid down the nylock.