Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 11-20-2022, 07:22 PM

Bmnorm2 is a jewel in the rough Bmnorm2 is a jewel in the rough Bmnorm2 is a jewel in the rough Bmnorm2 is a jewel in the rough

Bmnorm2 is a jewel in the rough Bmnorm2 is a jewel in the rough Bmnorm2 is a jewel in the rough Bmnorm2 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteTRD View Post
i'm one of those weird cases where the metal filter housing never fit right. got the right p/n, bought from a dealer (to avoid Amazon fakes), installed with the correct internal tube and the O-ring in the right recess. the housing never truly bottomed out or snugged up even when it couldn't tighten anymore at the correct torque, and weeped oil around the seam with the filter mount when the engine was running.

took it off, went back to stock plastic, never an issue. as long as the plastic isn't hulk-smashed to way beyond its intended torque, especially with all the pressure on the ears, it should be fine.

now that i think about it more, for all the talk about how well toyota engineers these trucks to be relatively bombproof, its a bit funny we take off one of the most critical fluid system components and replace it strictly thinking we know better than the engineers. aside from installer error, if you blow through your skidplate clearance so hard you've cracked the plastic filter housing, you might be having bigger problems than an oil leak.

The cause of the plastic unit failures is not from "blowing through skid plate clearance" or an impact as it sounds like you are implying. It is due to someone over tightening the unit. User error, certainly.

Your issue reminds me of several others who had leaking issues due to installing the large o-ring in the wrong groove. There are two grooves that the o-ring will sit in and without much scrutiny both appear correct. However, the lower groove (as installed), that is machined, is the correct one.

There is no reason the aluminum unit wouldn't work. The only differences between the two are very minor, non functional, and due to the plastic unit is designed for injection molding, and the aluminum for die casting. All of the critical interfaces (seals, threads, clearance, mating, etc..) and general geometry is otherwise identical. I've done similar manufacturing type design changes in the past (Cast -> Injection Molded)

With all of that said, i also agree there is absolutely nothing faulty with the stock plastic unit.

Last edited by Bmnorm2; 11-20-2022 at 07:27 PM.
Bmnorm2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote