Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 11-23-2022, 06:49 PM

cosmo4r is on a distinguished road

cosmo4r is on a distinguished road
Before actually getting into the frame repair I needed to learn how to weld. I found a lightly used Lincoln Migpak 140 (basic 110v mig welder) on Kijiji for $400. I found a 20lb full bottle of C02 for $40 on FB market place. Technically, a 75/25 Argon/C02 mix is better as it makes for a smoother arc - but C02 can also give you better penetration with lower voltage machines since it is more reactive. (disclaimer I am not a professional, this is just what I found in my research). I found it works fine for my use-case.

MIG Welding with 100% Co2 Shielding Gas - Weld Guru

It's also way cheaper than 75/25 mix. 20lbs (~175CF) of CO2 nets you ~8hrs of weld time, costs about $30-40 to refill. Where as a 80CF 75/25 bottle only gets you ~4hrs, in my area a bottle like this would cost $200-$300 and $100-$150 to fill. I also didn't want to deal with having a huge heavy cylinder so it worked out well. I welded my entire frame with this bottle and still have about half left.

This is the helmet I bought, no complaints. The viewing area is great and it never flashed me (auto darkening is a must IMO).
YESWELDER Large Viewing Screen 3.94"X3.66" True Color Solar Power Auto Darkening Welding Helmet, 4 Arc Sensor Wide Shade 4~5/9-9/13 for TIG MIG Arc Weld Grinding Welder Mask LYG-M800H… : Amazon.ca: Tools & Home Improvement

First few flux core beads (yes lots of splatter).

Various objects I made out of scrap metal.

With gas it's a night and day difference. I highly recommend if you are planning on doing any welding. I did find that your settings and stick out length are much more critical vs. flux core.

^Little cold in these pics. I ended up cutting a bunch of coupons out of flat bar and running 3-4lbs of solid wire just to practice. Didn't take any pics, but I did improve some.
cosmo4r is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote