Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 11-30-2022, 07:53 PM

Bigshankhank is on a distinguished road

Bigshankhank is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by balong48 View Post
Does it sound like loose change or loose bolts? Only on one side? After I had my brakes done on my 03 I noticed what sounded like loose change being rattled around every time I went over a bump. Turned out they did not install anti-rattle springs, can't remember if that's the official name or not. Picked up a set from the dealer and had the shop that did the brakes throw them on, boom - noise was gone. Just had one get bent and removed on my 2011, and now there's a rattle over bumps. AFAIK, it's harmless.
Lord I thought I was the only person who had this happen to them. Same deal, had a shop replace my rear wheel bearings (they were shot at 250K) and while they were in there go ahead and replaced the parking brakes and rear pads. Rattled constantly, took it back and told them and they did nothing, finally I pulled the rotor and saw the springs were missing, took it back again and got the run around. I just bought a hardware kit from NAPA and put them on myself and reminded myself why I learned how to wrench on my own cars.

To the OP, this is worth a check. Have you had any brake work done, specifically on the rears? Have you used the parking brake a lot recently? Its possible the rattle springs degraded if they haven't been serviced regularly and suddenly getting used could cause them to break and fall out.