View Single Post
Old 12-01-2022, 03:22 PM

aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute

aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute
now that I got my clunk figured out I am in the process of changing out the diff and t-case fluids while things are more or less apart. I found some replacement drain and fill plugs for the front diff that aren't 10mm allen heads but regular hex heads, excited to get those swapped out for easy fluid change down the road. It's always sketchy breaking loose the allen plugs.. mine are half stripped already..

While fiddling around with that I noticed something interesting that may explain, at least in part, the feeling I have in the front diff.. while putting in the stub shafts to keep oil from spilling in 2wd with the CV's out, I noticed that I could not spin the front driveshaft... even with the axles out.. this was suprising since I'm on the FJ t-case and in 2Hi on the selector sticks... but... spinning the front drive shaft I could see the rear shaft moving a little as well with the minor slop that I had.. this should not be happening as there should be no coupling of the front/rear shaft in 2Hi until you go to 4Hi.

This means something, very possibly related to the twin stick mod, like the synchro hub between 2hi and 4hi is sliding around just a little and possibly making slight contact to the hi gear engagement.. this was, afterall, the cause of the clunk I was feeling under heavy torque application.

So I am now thinking i'm onto something.... and the front diff isn't actually hurt (I really hope) but rather some of the clunkiness i'm feeling has got something to do with the front wheel back-spinning the diff and sometimes the T-case wanting to make partial engagement to 4hi. At least that is my current working theory .. I think I have a way to verify this, at least partially, by sticking the gopro under the rig again to see what the front drive shaft is doing while I'm driving around. It shouldn't be spinning at all in 2hi since my cv axle are currently out, so if it get any sort of movement or engagement I think I can confirm my theory ..