Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 01-03-2023, 04:56 PM

mooch91 is on a distinguished road

mooch91 is on a distinguished road
In need of a new vehicle - what would you do?

I've hit a point where I need to buy a new vehicle. My 4th gen 4runner (2006) is getting long in the tooth, and my 5th gen (2014) just broke the 100K mark and will probably be going to a new driver in the household.

Toyota is making this difficult with no 6th gen on the horizon.

I'm a die-hard Toyota fan, and have had multiple 4runners (3rd through 5th gen) and pickups (1987 pickup - 2014 Tacoma). My driving is mostly on-road, but I have always liked the ruggedness and potential in the 4runner.

My options right now, as I see them:
  • New 4Runner - Though this could give me the chance to step up from an SR5 to a higher trim model like the Limited, I've been so disappointed in the lack of change over the years. I just don't think there's enough different from my 2014 to make this worthwhile to pay new car prices.
  • Sequoia - I know little about them yet, but I like the look of the new Sequoia. Fuel economy looks no better than the 4Runner, and I don't know that this gives me much more than a little more room (which I probably don't need) and a few extra bells and whistles. Plus they are pricey and hardly available in my neck of the woods.
  • RAV4 Adventure/Off-Road - I don't particularly like downsizing, but the Adventure and Off-Road models look more rugged than I would have imagined. The fuel economy is a plus considering gas prices. Similar to the Sequoia, availability isn't great, but the pricing is a little more affordable.

Looking for thoughts on what you all are doing as you wait for the 6th gen.

And as a side question, I haven't bought a new vehicle in 6 years. What's the deal with pricing nowadays? My last purchase (Ford) was a special order, and I paid less than invoice pricing. Have supply chain issues and supply/demand driven the prices up to where the buyer has no leverage? What's typical to expect to pay for a new Toyota these days?

Thanks in advance!
2023 Limited 3000mi
mooch91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote