View Single Post
Old 01-04-2023, 03:30 AM

RodrickHeffley has a spectacular aura about RodrickHeffley has a spectacular aura about

RodrickHeffley has a spectacular aura about RodrickHeffley has a spectacular aura about
After spending the better part of about eight months trying to find a center dash bezel from a 99+, I finally found one. (and it wasn't an absurd price! (about 20$)

Getting the swap done was actually really straightforward once I understood how to repin the connectors. I was dreading that going into it based off of the hellish experiences people have said to have faced doing them, but once I figured out how it was a piece of cake.

The hardest thing for me (and anyone else trying this) was getting the defrost switch to work. I'm no expert solder master, so getting that switch done was a pain. I got one of the wires on myself, and got stuck, so I went to my buddy and he got another on, then I finally called it quits and went to my old boss who does microsoldering and he got the last one on.

Between three people and about two weeks, I got the switch working and installed, before I had it installed I fed the old switch through the keyring plastic and just left it dangling out which looked super stupid.

(HUGE thanks to Leon and his writeup on this, it was extremely helpful!)
(please ignore the hellish 12v lighter wiring, I made better connector wiring with this new update)

Really enjoying having the freed up button spaces on the left, which means my 115v switch from the matrix finally has a proper place to go.

The only troubles I've been having are with the LEDs on the buttons on the new panel. I think that they're all burnt out and finding the 'proper' replacements has been hard as I've been seeing many people saying different things, I'll get around to ordering some soon.

This winter in Utah we got dumped with about 3' of snow almost overnight which has meant the 4runner has been working pretty hard to get me around. A few days ago I was headed up to a friend's house in the mountains and finally got to test out 4LO and my locking rear diff, both of which worked first try! I was happy about that since I (foolishly) actually haven't tested either since getting my 4runner.

College has been kicking me around so I've not had much time to work on the 4runner. During the end of fall and the entirety of winter I've found some things that I'd like to do or adjust. I've been putting together a list of mods that I'd like to get done when spring comes around! However I'm sure that a combination of not being able to find parts and laziness will affect that, we'll see.

Hoping this year will bring more updates when school gets out, but I guess time will tell there.
Build Thread
----------------

Last edited by RodrickHeffley; 11-09-2023 at 12:48 PM.
RodrickHeffley is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote