Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 01-04-2023, 07:58 AM

Rick G. is on a distinguished road

Rick G. is on a distinguished road
mooch91,

I’m in a position right now where I want a new 4Runner, but don’t really need one right away. I have a 2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4WD, that I bought brand new for myself. Currently at 187,XXX miles.

The Tundra is doing great, but I find myself with new truck fever. I have my heart set on a 4Runner as my next vehicle of choice. My needs have changed over the years and I am at the point where I could get along without another open bed pickup truck, and willing to transition in to a closed cabin SUV.

I’ve test driven a couple of 4Runners at the dealer, and also driven a friend’s Limited model. I do not require a Limited, and will end up with either the SR5, or possibly SR5 Premium.

I have two problems that are keeping me from taking the plunge right now.

1) I am finding that none of the three dealers I have visited are willing to deal on a new 4Runner. They are flagrantly / stubbornly staying at sticker price, and do not have a customer friendly attitude. As such, I do not feel compelled to buy.

All my life, I’ve been very satisfied with the deals that I’ve been able to negotiate for myself on new vehicles. For now, I’ve disciplined myself to dig my heels in as well, and have decided that I’m not going to pay sticker. I will wait those thieving bass-turds out, thanks to having a perfectly good set of wheels to drive in my current Tundra.

My wife drives a 2019 BMW that we bought brand new for her in 2019. We got a very satisfactory deal on her BMW back in 2019. The BMW dealer was very accommodating and a complete pleasure to deal with, unlike the snobby Toyota dealers I am currently encountering.

Incidentally, I am not expecting to trade my Tundra in at the dealer for a 4Runner. It will be a straight out purchase with no trade involved to complicate the figures. I have two potential private sale buyers for my Tundra whenever I decide to sell it. One of them is my brother, lol. Of course, that situation could always change over time, especially the longer I wait, but for now they both are bugging me wanting my Tundra. Lol.

My wife is suggesting that I just find myself a nice clean used 4Runner instead, but I have a bug when it comes to buying a vehicle that I MUST buy it brand new. I tend to hold on to my vehicles for a long time once I buy them, so I feel that I have to start out with a brand new one. But, that’s just me.

2) Now then, there is the thing about the next gen 4Runner. I am very curious about just what this thing is going to be like. Part of me thinks I should wait and see what the next gen looks like and drives like before I make such a major purchase decision. I have a bit of a fear of buying a current gen, and then having it immediately becoming old news in the shadow of the next gen.

On the other hand, what if the next gen turns out to be a turd?

And so here I set, in limbo right now- waiting for either something to happen which will cause the dealers to change their attitudes and start dealing again, or, waiting to see, touch and drive the next gen before making my final purchase decision. Perhaps once more is learned about the next gen, prices will start dropping on the current gen. Or not???? That theory may backfire on me if the next gen is a turd as I previously mentioned. What a dilemma.

Last edited by Rick G.; 01-04-2023 at 08:20 AM.
Rick G. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote