Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-03-2023, 05:46 PM

jross20 is a jewel in the rough jross20 is a jewel in the rough jross20 is a jewel in the rough

jross20 is a jewel in the rough jross20 is a jewel in the rough jross20 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyral View Post
Those plugs don't look terrible, but the gap does look a touch wide. If you have a gapper for dual electrode plugs you can check them.

Taking a lot of short trips and not warming the engine up will cause carbon buildup.

Premium fuel is less likely to detonate because of the octane rating. Whether it's ethanol free or not does not matter, it's used to increase octane but the engine cant distinguish between 87 octane using MTBE and 87 octane using ethanol. Premium does have more cleaning additives.

Does the shop have a borescope you can use? If there's a huge amount of carbon buildup you'll be able to see it.
You know what I think they might actually because the last time I was there I heard them talking about looking inside of something "with the scope". I have to give them a call and see if we might could take a peek inside.

I do have a general update for everyone following: after some guys here suggested it I dumped in an entire can of seafoam into the tank which had just under half left. I drove around for a while, driving somewhat spirited occasionally really given it the beans here and there. Sunday morning I filled up with non ethanol, regular octane, 87 or whatever it is, and had to do a lot of driving for errands and up to the big city to get something from Ikea.

So here's the main update, since filling up with non-premium I've only heard the pinging what I believe was just twice. It was significantly more tame and just for a split second or two. Today I do not believe I've heard any pinging. But here's the other thing, and obviously I would need to go through a whole tank to really know 100% for sure but just at a glance it seems like fuel economy is way up. I hit 85ish miles at the 3/4th tank mark where as normally it's like 60-65 miles.

I'm definitely not calling it for sure yet, but perhaps it is improved.

Since the other guy mentioned the mass air flow sensor I'm wondering if the one I bought from Amazon might be a dud? No it wasn't just a random off-brand one, it said it was OEM and they were 10 or 20 comments, reviews, they all said that it appeared to be OEM. Twas $90 so I figured it was legit. Maybe it was a cheapo?
jross20 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote