Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-14-2023, 05:02 PM

The_Mickstar is on a distinguished road

The_Mickstar is on a distinguished road
Tire choice for 2018 TRD Offroad

I've done some research on this forum, but would like some confirmation from those with more knowledge to avoid making a costly mistake. So thanks in advance.

I have a stock 2018 TRD Offroad that needs new tires. From my research, the stock wheels on my model are 17x7.5" wide and the stock tire size is P265/70R17.

My truck is my daily driver and is primarily used on-road. I do occasionally tow a 19' ski boat, but not very often and not very far. Since I need new tires anyway, I'd like to go for a slightly more aggressive (i.e. off road) look, while balancing fuel economy & road noise.

Because I'm concerned about fuel economy (and because I think they're adequate to meet my use case), I'd like to stay with lighter P-rated (SL Load Range) options. And, because I'd like a more aggressive look, I'd like to go a little bigger.

From my research on this forum, I *think* I can fit up to 285/70/17s without significant mods (and possibly no mods).

I like the looks of the Falken Rubitrek A/T and Wildpeak AT3W tires, and both are available in P285/70/17. The differences seem minimal. Weight difference is a wash (Wildpeaks are less than a pound heavier). From Falken's description, the Rubitrek should be slightly better for on-road use, so I'm leaning that way. (I'm in Missouri with a Tire Plaza local, so I should be able to get them.)

My questions...

Will the 285/70/17s fit on my stock truck with minimal (or possibly no) mods? What are the likely mods necessary?

Thoughts on going with P285/70/17s for my described use? (Both of these tires are also available in the stock size.)

Thoughts on Rubitrek A/T vs Wildpeak AT3W?

Last edited by The_Mickstar; 04-14-2023 at 05:22 PM.
The_Mickstar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote