Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-21-2023, 07:00 PM

Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold

Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJM View Post
Update: I talked to Troy at DX Engineering where I bought the original mount from, and they gave me an adapter part number for the mount/antenna combo. He said the paint would have to be sanded down where the set screws attach to provide ground. I asked for recommendations for a spring to attach between the antenna and mount, but I kind of inundated him with questions and I think he missed that one.

Would there be any issue mounting a Firestik medium duty spring to this set up, in the opinion of you clearly more experienced radio operators out there?

Thanks everyone!
DX engineering is great. I've used them as a sounding board for my set up. let's not confuse ground plane with electrical ground. you can ground your mount to the body using set screws (you don't need to sand, they will bite into the paint and hold, then use some dielectric grease or fluid film around the threads as a water repellant). check with multi meter to ensure good ground. I bit all 4 of my set screws into the paint for good measure. some people only do 2

a ground plane is the reflective metal of the car's body under the mount that extends about 6-12" 360 degrees around the antenna and is mainly used for propagation. the actual amount of ground plane needed depends on the wavelength of the antenna but 6-12" is a safe bet. that's why roof mount is the most popular location but not really ideal. in real life perfect ground planes are very hard to get. even your roof may have contours, roof rails, sun roof, etc.

if you add a spring to the bottom of the antenna you have effectively lengthened it and it's factory length is based on wavelength. you may have to cut/trim the antenna to be the correct size after adding a spring (I'd check with DX on this or someone that knows CB or these firestiks well)

I don't think you need a spring, IMO, firestiks are somewhat flexible, but I have no experience using them

I would first determine where you are willing to mount your antenna. if roof is out of the question you will then need to decide if you are willing to have an imperfect ground plane under your antenna. if you are OK with this based on your needs (and many people are and have no issues) then you can firestik on a lip mount like the diamond or comet. if not, get a ground independent antenna for CB. I would ground your lip mount to the metal wherever you mount you antenna though, regardless of the antenna type

with CB the power output is far less than ham. I think 4 watts vs 50 watts. so an imperfect ground plane or partial ground plane (like hood corner) is often OK and you can get away with using any antenna.

firestik does make a no ground plane antenna. wilson makes some as well I believe.

edit: also once you decide where to mount your antenna, pick up a few antennas and experiment. see which ones work best, keep a couple and swap them in and out. I have three antennas lol. when you're ready for a ham set up you will be a pro and then can come give me advice lol

Last edited by Humble Leader; 04-21-2023 at 07:13 PM.
Humble Leader is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote