Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 08-06-2023, 08:50 PM

TXST8SR5 is on a distinguished road

TXST8SR5 is on a distinguished road
We took the wheels and tires in to Discount Tire on Saturday. As soon as we got them home, we got to work making room.

We mounted up the rears first. We removed the whole mud flap and trimmed away the actual flap portion that hangs below the bumper. The tire was just resting on it. The inside edge of the bumper looks unfinished without the plastic piece bolted in so we wanted to keep it.

In the front, I picked a spot about half way up the front portion of the flare to start the cut. Toward the bottom, I measured in about 1.5". Ran some tape to connect the two points and cut away. Truthfully, I made a smaller cut first and had to go back for more.

On the back side of the tire, we tackled the usual items. The body mount required a good chop. I have the weld-in plates, but I don't plan to install them until we install the 1" body lift. I'd rather wait to do the welding while the rubber mounts are out.

We also folded over the pinch seam and then pushed the inner fender liner back.

After all of that, we effectively have no rubbing under general driving.
I ordered a 1" body lift from Toytec about 6 weeks ago. It has been on backorder and from stories I am hearing, I won't see it for several more weeks. Initially, I was not seeing any need to install it, but after driving a little with it today, I did hear the tires scrubbing the rear fenderwell.
Since this will never see off road, I am not too worried, but I think that 1" will give a little extra clearance.
Attached Images
Overbuilt 2wd build thread-18-jpg  Overbuilt 2wd build thread-19-jpg  Overbuilt 2wd build thread-20-jpg  Overbuilt 2wd build thread-21-jpg