Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 09-24-2023, 03:22 PM

SocalRunner15 is on a distinguished road

SocalRunner15 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbtim View Post
I don't have a supercharger and I'm running a Stant 170 degree thermostat. My opinion is, they don't do shit in reality. Yes, the thermostat opens sooner, but very quickly, the engine will get up to its operating temp anyway. Once it's open, it's open, just like the OEM thermostats that open at 180 degrees. It will keep the engine cooler in some circumstances, like driving down a mountain pass with no load on the engine, but that situation is never a concern. It's when you're driving in hot ambient temps and driving up a grade that you want your cooling system to be performing well so you don't overheat your engine.

The next time I'm due for a coolant renewal, I'm going to ditch the 170 degree thermostat because it's doing nothing for me.

The main difference is that it seems to run things 10 degrees cooler on average. Is that something good? It definitely helps give the system a headstart when climbing passes but that's primarily a function of your radiator/cooling system. My main concern is during the winter....the system is now running at say 165 170.....are we accelerating wear n tear because the engine isn't at the intended operating temps?
SocalRunner15 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote