Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 11-22-2023, 02:14 PM

Jubsz is on a distinguished road

Jubsz is on a distinguished road
Electrical completely dead

I started my 08 V8 4Runner this morning and noticed the battery light was on. NBD, I turned it off and drove the other car in. When I got back home, I started the 4runner, heard a bit of whine which I presumed to be the alternator, smelled a bit of burning in that area and turned it off. It was registering 11.9-12V while running.

I shut it off and went to the Toyota dealership to pick up a reman alternator. I returned about an hour later and went to hit the unlock button on my fob with nothing happening. I turned the key, and nothing at all. Not a single light on or anything at all. Battery has been replaced within last 2 years.

At first, with the battery light and low voltage, I just assumed a simple alternator. I haven't gotten to do any formal diagnosis but the fact that everything died and had a burning smell is making me freak out a bit thinking it may be worse. I've gotta find my multimeter and see if the battery has anything in it. Shouldn't I still be seeing some dash lights? It's odd that the battery had enough to start and turn off, then nothing an hour later with the burning smell.

Anyone had similar and what else was it? Alternator job was looking like a pain on the daily but I was going to do it. If it's significant electrical, I'm afraid I may have to get it towed somewhere.

Last edited by Jubsz; 11-22-2023 at 04:14 PM.
Jubsz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote