Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 11-29-2023, 04:21 PM

Skykomish will become famous soon enough

Skykomish will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspian_77 View Post
Man! That is quite the antenna!

Ethernet port to Starlink?! That's awesome! Do you work remote and "Go into the office" from the trail?

Why so much Coax?
The Peplink antenna looks kinda like a jellyfish when you take it out of the box. There are actually 7 antennas, each with a separate coax run - 4 cellular antennas, 2 WiFi antennas and a GPS antenna. The location on the hood was a compromise, really didn't have anywhere else I could put it where it wouldn't get damaged. In addition to that, I've got a GMRS antenna, 2m/70cm antenna, and both internal and external cel booster antennas...

I do work remote as a software engineer and have for many years. I lived in my rig full time for about 3 years and still travel for weeks/months at a time when I can. Starlink was a total game changer with the places I could get to and still have usable internet. The nicest thing about the Peplink router IMO is its dual SIM (I've got both Verizon and a MVNO SIM in there) and has a WAN port. When the WAN port comes up it will automatically switch over to that. So when I get into camp I just chuck Dishy on the ground, plug it in, flip a couple switches and that's it - now I'm talking to a satellite instead of a mobile tower. Between the two SIM cards and Starlink I rarely lose connectivity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RExplorer View Post
The oven draws 10A, so it might be a little high for a 1000W inverter - maybe upgrade to 1200W or 1500W.
The oven is 12V, as is almost all of my gear. These days I really only use the inverter for running a blender and charging a gaming laptop. I considered upgrading but it's not critical gear for me.
Skykomish is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote